Wednesday 8 September 2010

The 10 minute Pot Holder

Front of my pot holder
 As you can see I have finished my pot holder. It only took me 10 minutes to sew it and press it together. The quilted part took me about 30 minutes to do including cutting all the squares, pinning it together and sewing them. This is my first quilting project and am quite happy with it. The colours are brighter in person (bad picture).  I think I'll be making a retro one since my kitchen is really plain and I like the old retro look. I think I'll also buy a wee hooks so I can make lovely aprons for when I'm cooking and baking. 

Anyway, back to my pot holder. Here is how I made my pot holder:  I cut the size I approximately wanted my pot holder to be with a 1/2" extra all around, two pieces of fabric (front and back), and four pieces of batting or you can do like I did used an old hand towel. I then lay down 2 of my towel cuttings, then right side up one of my fabric, then wrong side up of the other fabric piece and then follow with the remaining two towel cuttings. Next, PIN ... PIN ... PIN and make sure before you start to sewing you check that everything is straight. Now, start sewing all around but be sure to leave an opening because you need to turn it inside out. I left an 3 inch opening. After sewing it all, cut off excess fabric on all the sides and make a diagional at each corner. Now, Press all of your stitches to seal them. Once all of your sides are trimmed and pressed, turn it inside out and take something sharp but not too sharp to go through the fabric so, you can straighten the corners. Press it all again and then pin your open edge downwards (inside the opening) and sew by hand. And press the seams down again. DONE.  Next time, I make one I'll take pictures as I go.

Back of my Pot Holder

If your going to try to make this very simple pot holder it's sooooo easy and perfect for a beginner. Good luck :)


Georgina x

No comments:

Post a Comment